OSWI, the Ophthalmological Society of the West Indiesis the principal regional voice for ophthalmology in the West Indies and is rapidly becoming the recognized authority on eye and vision care. OSWI has a celebrated history dated back in 1990 founded by a group of Caribbean Ophthalmologists OSWI brings together ophthalmic clinicians, regional representatives, students, nurses, government, corporate and affiliate partners in its quest to eradicate and prevent blindness in the Caribbean.
The society has been working through the years using interventions such as:
- Co-ordinating forums, meetings as the principal regional authority on eye care in the Caribbean
- Promoting improved vision care policies and standards
- Formulating clinical practice guidelines for eye health professionals
- Enabling continuing professional development opportunities for eye physicians and surgeons
- Collaborating with key stakeholders, partners and supporters in vision care
- Mentoring students, nurses and persons who are pursuing a career in ophthalmology
- Representing eye physicians and surgeons within the region
- Providing accurate, up-to-date information on vision health as it relates to the Caribbean and internationally
- Disseminating the latest research findings and industry news
OSWI, the Ophthalmological Society of the West Indies does all this and more – we aim to foster lifelong ophthalmic education and research thereby ensuring excellence in ophthalmology for all Caribbean citizens.